Share

Monday 1 December 2014

The Four Noble Truths of Buddhism

Here is my quote for the month of December from my wall calendar of sayings of the Vietnamese Buddhist monk and peace campaigner Thich Nhat Hanh:

"With all our heart let us be diligent, engaging in the practice. Let us live deeply, free from afflictions, aware of impermanence so that life does not drift away without meaning." - Thich Nhat Hanh

I don't know the context of this quote and find it more cryptic than the previous Thich Nhat Hanh quotes that I have shared on this  blog. I think that 'the practice' being referred to may be the practice of living mindfully. Regarding the idea of living deeply, free from afflictions, aware of permanence, I think this may be referring to the idea of achieving 'englightenment' through freeing yourself from attachment to any particular things, ideas or people, all of which are impermanent according to this kind of Buddhist philosophy. For an introduction to the Buddhist notion of the 'Four Noble Truths' and how release from suffering is achieved, which I think relates to this, click on the link below:

The Four Noble Truths of Buddhism

Find Self-Coaching eBooks at: Downloadable Self-Help eBooks
Coaching Resources available at: Coaching, CBT & Self-Help Ideas

No comments:

Post a Comment